|Manitoulin Island is located at the northern end
of Lake Huron, and is close to Lake Superior (the lake to the West of
Manitoulin), Lake Michigan (the lake to the South-West), and Georgian Bay
(to the East); a virtual cross roads of fresh water.
Taken together, these
Great Lakes are the largest collection of fresh water in the world (except
for glaciers). The Great Lakes contain 90% of the fresh water supply
in North America, and 20% of the world's fresh water supply on the surface
of the earth. These lakes are truly freshwater oceans. The next largest
collection of fresh water is at the polar ice & snow caps.
Originally a center of farming, fishing, & lumbering, Manitoulin
Island now enjoys the majority of its commerce as a rural vacationing &
tourism hot spot for the cottage & outdoor sports enthusiasts.
Manitoulin Island has some of the best cottage country, fishing, boating,
beaches, and water sports in all of Canada.
Manitoulin Island is accessed by the swing bridge to the North, or the
large car ferry from the South. Either way, it's worth the trip.
It's a 4 hr. drive from Toronto ON, 6 hr. drive from Detroit MI. or Ottawa
Manitoulin Island is where you will find:
- the world's largest fresh water island (2,765 square km., approx. 200
km. x 150 km.)
- more inland lakes (110 in total) than any other island in the world
- the world's largest lake on an island
- the 2nd best place in Canada to do salmon fishing (BC is #1).
- One of the best places in Ontario for fishing trout, muskie, pike,
bass, perch, crappie, whitefish, walleye, pickerel, etc.
- a great place to visit, fish, boat, sail, canoe, kayak, hunt, bird,
swim, scuba dive, rock climb, vacation in a privately owned cottage, and
Waterfront Cottage for Rent |
Ontario Travel Vacation Packages
Details on Waterfront Cottage |
Waterfront Ontario Cottage